Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Sending our Love Down a Well

So today a little girl was rescued after somehow falling down a well and being trapped for 27 hours. I was stuck in an elevator for 45 minutes one day, so I kind of have an idea of how she felt. At least she was by herself and not standing next to 3 unshowered fat women. Watching this story over and over every 30 minutes on Headline News reminded me of probably the most famous kid-in-a-well story, Baby Jessica.

In 1987, not even two-years old Jessica McClure fell down a well in Texas. I remember the event vividly, oddly enough, not because I have a sister roughly the same age, but because it happened right around the opening night for the Toys R Us in my hometown. I remember standing in line with my parents waiting to get in and people discussing Jessica's rescue that had happened earlier that day. I think that night I bought a Boglin. That was 21 years ago, and even back then people would talk about the story or see it on the news and say "Who falls down a well these days" or "Who has an open well and lets their kids play around it these days." Apparently, in 21 years this story never made its way to India, as they've had 6 kids fall down wells in the past 2 years. Do they have the internet there? Or ABC TV Movies? That's a world without Beau Bridges, and that's not fit for me.

Check out the Wikipedia page on Jessica McClure, most notably the life directions of the two rescue workers. One suicide, one crazy rap sheet. What?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I"m Jessica McClure. You may remember me from falling in such wells as...

Doug Norris said...

...that's fun and all, boy those were some crazy times. But I'm here today to talk about something serious. Your Democratic Presidential Nominee.

Dave (IAN) McKendry said...

I lived in Derby Kansas, and we fell down wells all the time. In fact my old high school had a varsity well falling down team.

My word verification was bsmch. As in Doug is a total bsmch.