Monday, March 24, 2008

Lucy in the Sky with High Definition

I watched "Across the Universe" this weekend. I had read and seen and heard a great deal about the film, and honestly had no idea that it was a musical. Almost everything I had seen or heard or read did not mention the word "musical" anywhere in the context. I remember seeing the trailer when I went to see the third Spider-Man, and I thought "wow, that looks like something that would look pretty sweet on a big screen." Visually, parts of the film are mind blowing, like the scene depicting one character's military enlistment accompanied by "I Want You (She's So Heavy)." Parts of the film are also really corny and cheesy, like most of the more upbeat songs that turn the movie into one of those "medly" moments from American Idol. Parts of the film have Salma Hayeck dressed as a naughty nurse. I enjoyed it, and would recommend it to others, if you like The Beatles. Or trippy digital-animation musicals. Or naughty nurses.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't the third Spider-Man a musical, or did I hear incorrectly?

Doug Norris said...

you're right, Spider-Man 3 is a musical. it starts with a big song and dance sequence while Spidey fights the Sandman titled "Web vs Sand, Sand vs Web," then after defeat, Sandman sings a solo called "Marko's Big Heart." later, the Green Goblin's ghost does a song to instruct his son on revenge. it's pretty much Hamlet's Father's speech from the first act, just with a jaunty tune backing.