Sunday, March 9, 2008

Poison Apple

Ok, I've never been pro-mac or pro-anything else. I've used both to the extent that I'm not afraid of a new OS and therefore won't begin bashing anything I don't know. Like those people that sit in front of a mac and can't understand how to eject a disc and then start screaming "Macs suck, you suck, I hate me" and run off crying into the darkness. I own a Windows machine, and I also have two iPods in my home, so I'm no stranger to either. This weekend, one of my comrades became the proud owner of a macbook while another received an iPod touch from his special lady, and the latter already owns a macbook pro. This past summer, another of my friends bought an iPhone. So now I have a much larger apple-envy bug. I love my iPod, but I'm already wanting to replace it. My phone comes up for renewal, and I'm looking at iPhones, even though I know they suck. My computer has lasted for 7+ years, and I'm looking at macbooks. Here's the problem:

I don't want to spend the money.

I use my computer for e-mail, internet, and storing mp3s and pictures. That's it. I have all this ridiculous software that I don't use, and I really don't want to spend more money on a piece of machinery that allows me to do the exact same crap that I'm already doing with ease. It's like when you were a kid and you had a bike. It was good to you, it took you everywhere you wanted to go, and at one point it looked brand new and made all the other kids jealous. Then, 2 years later, you got tired of it simply because you had been looking at it for 2 years, and no matter how you tried to wash it or paint it or put Tony the Tiger reflectors in the spokes, it just looked like crap. Then later on you're migrating from riding a bike to driving a car, and you really don't want to get another bike because you know you'll never ride it, but some of your friends who are the same age have this kick-ass mountain bikes and they look really cool and you start thinking "I should buy one of those." Which leads to my next problem:

I can't let go of things that I want.

It's true. That's why I have so many jackets and pairs of shoes. That's why I bought 2 LCD TV's. That's why I'm so fixated on an xbox360 AND a wii. My obsession will get the better of me, and I'm certain that down the road, I'll be the proud owner of some other apple product.

Outside of my affluenza, I made this tasty pork tenderloin earlier this week, which has turned into an even better dish. Guess what I'm having for dinner tonight...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

If your computer does everything you want it to do and you don't need anything else, don't bother.

If you want something to tickle your fancy and get rid of those hulking desktops that just take up space and waste power, look in to a Mac mini. Double boot windows on that thing and you're all set. ;)

Doug Norris said...

ahh the sales pitch...

actually, that's the only selling point to me besides looking all sexy. double boot os. oh baby.

you're not cooking!

Dave (IAN) McKendry said...

I have your Venti Latte and barett over here whenever you're ready to make the switch. Before you know it you'll be shopping at Urban Outfitters and taking pictures with your very own Holga.

Doug Norris said...

sadly, i already shop at urban outfitters...oldest guy there.

Anonymous said...

Girls swoon for operating systems that are UNIX certified.

Anonymous said...

Are you going to become one of those self important mac users who get all pretentious just because there laptop lets them compose shitty world music? Oh what? Am I describing someone who has already reached this point? Tell Dave M. to put down the organic poppy seed and cranberry low-fat scone and the vente crappuccino and leave his self-righteous mac world!

Doug Norris said...

hey dave m, put down the organic poppy seed and cranberry low-fat scone and the vente crappuccino and leave [your] self-righteous mac world!

Dave (IAN) McKendry said...

I'm sorry what were you saying I was enjoying this delicious organic poppy seed and cranberry low-fat scone. You know what would go great with this? A vente crappuccino, and maybe some freakin Pinkberry like a trend jumping grad students I know.

Anonymous said...

Yes, but being a grad student fan of Pinkberry I can deconstruct the diagetic of the marketing visual displays that occurs in the store, the panopticon of colors that form a conflicting paradign with the earthen floor, and the rationale of how sub-consciously the high price makes one feel like they are eating something better and therefore worth more. Plus, its fuckloads tastier than anything they serve at your Starbucks, ya big Frappa-loser.

Dave (IAN) McKendry said...

Yes dear we can all cut and paste our comments from educated sources and pretend that frozen yogurt is good for us.