Thursday, March 20, 2008

Giving Back

Our neighborhood's recycling picks up every Wednesday. Feeling all bright-eyed and busy-tailed, I rushed outside at about 7:20 AM to set my tubs at the curb. One was full of cans and bottles, the other full of cardboard. The night before I had broken down all the cardboard and packed it together, really secure, and went to bed feeling great about myself and how I was helping our environment. As I drove off to work that morning, I kind of beamed back at the bins, as if to say "I'm one of those people now."

About 4:00 PM I received a text message from my wife reading "did u put something heavy on the recycling," to which I responded "no, why." She wrote back, "i'll let u come see."

There was cardboard all over my street. All of our recent purchases from Costco and the boxes they gave us to carry things. As I look out my window tonight, I can still see a Diet Pepsi box wrapped around my neighbor's tree, waiving back at me. My apologies, Gaia.

No comments: