Thursday, September 4, 2008

Don't ask me to collab, me and you don't mesh

Ye ol posse rap remix. I remember the pre-internet/pre-youtube days when you couldn't find the remix as soon as it dropped. You heard it on the radio only late Friday nights, saw a video on MTV (that's dating myself), or came across it at your non-chain record shop. A friend's brother left a tape while he was home from college, you dubbed it and wore it out. Weiss has a good piece on "Swagger," the latest posse cut blasting through your 5 o'clock playlist. These four clowns have pretty much become out-of-touch with guys like me (skinny jeans?), so I only really dig on their older jams. But it reminds me of one of my favorite posse remixes ever.




I still get a little amped when this pops up on the shuffle, even if it Sean brings it in. Even that part gets me because of that Chappelle skit. This track really introduced me to Biggie (I'm pretty sure it got airplay a few months before "ready to die" came out) and is probably Busta's second best verse ever recorded. I think there's even a split-second shot of Doodlebug.

No comments: