Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Reunited

Early 90's rap has been the soundtrack to this week, so I'll keep yammering on about my favs. A Tribe Called Quest reunited this year for the Rock the Bells tour, and damn if I'd like to partake. I'd even risk crossing paths with a Doombot. Those lineups always make me wish I lived in NY or LA or another comparable city so I could catch shows like that. Of course I'd probably go broke doing it, but it would have coasted me through my 20's with a slight more joy of reminiscence than seeing oddly themed cover bands.



I got to see Tribe live my freshman year, and it was one of my favorite concerts. Q-Tip and Fife totally command the stage, fully entertain, and put on a solid show. Live hip-hop and rap is so risky - either it's a total "let your boys have the stage" night where the real act barely performs, or they show up late and in small numbers. Tribe was different; they seemed as if they were grateful to have such a turnout and showed that gratitude by putting on a killer set. Recently, a long forgotten remix of "Scenario" has resurfaced, with De La and Lawnge from Black Sheep joining Tribe and LONS on a version that sounds as if it were played through a funhouse mirror. The album cut will always be my favorite, but this version's pretty dope and stoopid and poppin fresh. I'm just glad they've patched things up and potentially heading back to the studio. Now if we can just get Dig-Plans to venture out of Cali, our kids might be in good hands.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fake Method Man...ha.

Doug Norris said...

he was just too high